Safety is always a primary concern of solid waste management facilities and transporters alike, and the New York State’s Department of Environmental Conservation and Department of Health share that concern. DOH’s Fatality Assessment and Control Evaluation (NY FACE) investigates work-related fatalities and proposes injury prevention measures. Below are some of NY FACE’s recent work to supplement your own safety procedures and plans.
NY FACE recently completed a report titled “Operator of a Trailer Tipper Fatally Struck by a Tractor Trailer at a Landfill”. Additional reports which investigated deaths of workers at solid waste facilities include:
- “Truck Driver Run Over by Trash Compactor at Municipal Landfill” (available as PDF)
- “City Engineer Killed in Landfill Manhole When Retrieving Flow Meter” (available as PDF)
- “Truck Driver Buried by Mulch at Town Solid Waste Site” (available as PDF)
- “Worker Crushed Unloading Steel Waste Container” (available as PDF)
- Worker fatality video “Truck Driver Buried in Smoldering Mulch”
You may visit the NY FACE website, where additional injury prevention products and training materials can be found